Practical ways to nurture yourself and the love of self:
- Look in a mirror everyday and looking in your own eyes tell yourself that you are wonderful, beautiful marvellous. Forgive yourself for the mistakes you make. This may make you feel uncomfortable at first but with practice it gets easier. Eye gazing is an age old spiritual tradition.
- Write down 5 things that you like about yourself. Not things others have told you that they like, but things that you know and like about yourself. No one knows you better than you. Write these out and place them somewhere where you can see them every day.
- Make sure that laughter plays an important part in your day. Watch funny uplifting DVD’s or listen to comedy tapes. Have fun! Read “The Magic of Laughter.” (See Articles.)
- Think of someone you know who is not classically physically attractive but who exudes warmth and charisma. Think about why they make you feel good.
- If you practise Reiki or some other healing technique, give yourself a short daily treatment. This is a true act of self love, taking time out for yourself.
- Meditate on the heart:
Sit comfortably in a quiet room. Close your eyes and focus your attention on the middle of your chest, not where the physical heart is but the spiritual heart chakra behind the breastbone. Be aware of the heart as a space, a space where feelings enter. Imagine it as being pure peace, filled with a beautiful, subtle light. It may appear as white, gold, pale pink or an ethereal green. The colour doesn’t matter as we are all unique. Breathe gently and easily, filling this centre with that breath. As you breathe ask your heart to speak to you. Hold the intention that your heart will express itself. Sit with this for a few minutes and allow the energy to flow and open this beautiful centre. Old memories may surface, emotions, wishes, hopes, fears, dreams may reveal themselves. Your breathing may change as you sigh or gasp. Learning to be with your heart to listen to its messages in this way is meditation. Releasing suppressed emotions is purifying and listening to its messages is attention. Ask that any uncomfortable sensations are released easily and comfortably. (In the case of persistent chest pain, do consult your doctor.) The more that you practice this meditation, the more your heart will open to self love and self acceptance.
- Imagine yourself surrounded by a beautiful pink/ gold light. It surrounds you and also permeates your skin entering every cell in your body. This spiritual light is the light of self love. Silently observe all your cells filling and plumping up with this healing light and the energy of love and feel that you are safe and fully connected to both your Higher Self, (or Soul,) and the grounding supporting energy of Mother Earth. This positive intent is very powerful.
- Read the poet Rumi who was not just a poet but a great spiritual teacher.
- Join a group of like-minded people, not with an agenda but just to be relaxed and authentic, laugh and have fun. Somewhere where you can be you and feel safe and supported.
- Write down 5 things that you love to do and that bring you joy. Try to organise to do these things regularly.
- Read “Born To Manifest in Glory” (Inspirational Writings in Articles.)Take on board these uplifting words by Nelson Mandela. Put it up somewhere where you can read it every day.
- Take up Laughter yoga or a dance class like the 5 rhythms and have fun. Express the true you.